On medication for OCD, depression. Experiencing short term memory loss. Should I reduce medicine during puberty?

Is it possible that my sons medication for OCD and depression need to be reduced during puberty. Possible ex of Tourette's and or autism. Currently taking seroquel 25 mg bid and citalopram 20 mg daily. Has been experiencing short term memory loss and blanking out..

Thank you
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 32 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. The medications for depression do not change during and after puberty. The only time they may change is the time that this disorders are in partial or full remissions. In that time, the doctor decrease or discontinue the medication. The amount of medications you mentioned are minimal and usually do not have any side effect. short term memory loss and blanking out could be signs of depression (if he is under stress). Blanking out could also be a sign for a kind of seizure which is common in childhood. If you tell the doctor about these issues, he will able to look at the situation carefully. I wish him a good health.