On medication for LBP. Feeling blood pumping in neck, arms and leg. What is causing this?

Allergist and Immunologist
I have had slightly low blood pressure and been very healthy all my life, rarely sick, no allergies, and I'm on no medication. I am 31 years old, 6'2", 160lbs (I'm not super skinny, i have a small frame with decent musculature), and my resting heart rate is usually 80-90 bpm. lately I've been able to feel my blood pumping very hard in my neck, arms, legs, and hands, as well as feeling my heart pounding. It is most noticeable when there is constriction, like when i squat and my pants bunch up behind my knees or when my hand gets cold and i put it under my leg. About three years ago I went from being a waiter and moving around 5 shifts a week to a fulltime student, sitting in a classroom/ at a desk for large parts of the day. Could this change be due to my change in lifestyle? I cant get in to see a doctor right away, how urgent is this problem?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later

The positions you mention can increase your heart rate and this is physiologically normal. However, this also depends on the fact that you feel like this always since the time you have been noticing this. If there are irregularities then I feel it needs attention.

Your change in lifestyle is actually the other way round to increase your heart rate. Increased physical activity from a state of relative rest will increase heart rate.

Though I mentioned it is physiologically normal, it would be better to get your blood tested. Complete blood counts to know your hemoglobin levels (low haemoglobin increases your heart rate), thyroid profile to ensure you are not hyperthyroid (excessive thyroid hormone production can increase heart rate) along with 12-lead ECG to exclude cardiac rhythm abnormalities and chest X-ray to look at the heart size may be needed. If all these are normal and the symptoms are not troubling, we can leave it alone.

You do not need to visit your doctor right away, but better would be to get the aforementioned tests done in the next 3-4 weeks if the problem recurs almost daily. They are very basic investigations and the results should be ready the following day for discussion.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any queries.