On medication for ADD. How to get rid of this problem?

I am 43 female and feel like I have ADD and want to know how I can get a dr to let mr try Aderall. My mind races at all times and it always has I have to do everything at a very fast pace to try and keep up with my thoughts. I don't get much sleep and drugs that make most people drosey make me wide away like NyQuil or Benadryl or even kolonopin. I have a stressfull job and need to be able to concentrate to get things done but my mind is all over the place which causes me extreme anxiety and I can no longer eat food due to the high anxiety. I have had many test done and nothing seems to be wrong with my upper or lower GI track just anxiety which I get from not being able to focus and get things accomplished. I'm on a crazy wheel and can't get off.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 35 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are going through a very stressful time due to your problems.

You will need a detailed psychological assessment done by a psychiatrist to confirm a diagnosis of ADD before any starting medication like Adderall.

Your symptoms such as inability to relax, racing thoughts, difficulty in concentrating, etc. could also be indicative of an generalized anxiety disorder. You also mention that you have high levels of anxiety and moreover, your IBS / gastric symptoms could also be a manifestation of an underlying anxiety disorder. Remember, anxiety can manifest itself with not only psychological symptoms, but with physical symptoms also.

Since your symptoms are causing you extreme distress and day-to-day dysfunction, and you having difficulty managing your stress also, I would strongly advise you consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment and further treatment. There are effective treatment options - in the form of medication or counselling / psychotherapy which will help you overcome your problems.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Pychiatrist