On medication after second brain stroke. Noticed saliva is thickened. What could be the cause?

Neurologist, Surgical
my father in law has suffered second brain stroke 3 months back..and is on ryles tube. he is on the following medicines..since...acitrom 2 mg, ecosprin 75, levepil 250 in the morning and 500 night, cetalopram antidepressant, rosavostatin 10 mg...the problem is that his saliva is looks like fungal infection but is not...that thick and like glue..could any of the medicines above cause this problem?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Antidepressants can cause this problem of Dry mouth and thick saliva. Also, this may be a result of mouth breathing in few unconscious patients. Steam inhalation and good mouth care with mouth wash can help your father in law overcome this problem.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you need any more information.
Dr. Vineet Saggar