On medication after bypass surgery. Billirubin is high. Could it be caused by medicines?

Jan 2013

Billirubin has always been high. This was one factor in having my gall bladder removed 20 years ago. Last year I had bypass surgery and am taking a number of drugs related to cardio-vascular system. Most recent blood test the only problem was billirubin at 3.6 which is highest ever for me. Could some of my medicines be a cause. I'm due to have another blood test for liver function as follow-up.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
1) Kindly answer the following details:
a) Do you have yellow discoloration of eyes/ urine?
b) Do you have vomiting/ loss of appetite?
c) Do you have abdominal pain/ itching all over the body?
d) Details of Increased bilirubin: direct/ indirect.
e) Value of alkaline phosphatase and gamma GGT
2) If you are asymptomatic and your other parameters of liver function teat is normal, then there may be chances of conjugated hyperbilirubinemia. For diagnosing this condition, you have to go for liver biopsy.
3) You should also go for serum cerruloplasmin level, serum iron, TIBC, Ultra sound imaging, CT/ MRI scan abdomen.
4) You should also consult with physician/ gastroenterologist.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: On medication after bypass surgery. Billirubin is high. Could it be caused by medicines? 20 hours later
Answers to questions:
1a. No discoloration of eyes, but urine not as clear as I like.
1b. Appetite has not changed recently, never fully recovered appetite after Cardiac surgery.
1c. No abdominal pain or itching.
1d and 1e. Not sure of these details--they weren't apparent in the part of the blood workup that I received.

Thank you for your response. I will move forward expeditiously to follow-up with my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later
1d & 1e reports are include in your liver function test.
You should thoroughly check it.
All the best.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava