Ask a Urologist   »  

On macrobid for a UTI. Diarrhoea increased. Is it serious? Should I be concerned?

Hi my doctor put me on Macrobid for a UTI and I just took my last dose of a 7 day treatment. In the last two days I have had increased diarrhea and think there is bright red in my diarrhea. It's difficult to tell for sure since I'm two weeks post c-section. Is this something I should be concerned with and contacting my doctor today or can I wait till his office is open in the morning? THanks for your help
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

During your surgery, you received antibiotics. Then you received a second course. Now with GI related symptoms (bloody diarrhea) there may be concern about an alteration in the bacterial flora of the GI tract. One condition that we sometimes worry about is called "C. Difficile". Pronounced "See-Diffiseel". It is worth calling your OB today to see what they want you to do. It can be diagnosed with a stool culture and is usually treated with a different type of antibiotic. I am certain that there is someone on call for you OB/GYN who can answer the question of whether this can safely wait until tomorrow.

I hope this answers your questions. Please ask you have followup questions or need clarification. Please leave feedback!! Good luck!