On losepine for reflux. Feeling pulsing sensation under breast. Concerned

Hi I am a 40 year man and i am experiencing a continuous pulse under my left breast , I work out most mornings with weights and cardio , my diet is quite good however I do suffer with reflux and I take a 20 mg of losepine
Every morning , I am belching a lot at the moment but the pulse seems to come and go and can get quite
Aggressive , I'm concerned as it is my heart side , I am not feeling any pains whatsoever !
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Do you feel the pulse on palpation(on feeling the chest with your palm or fingers)? Is the rhythm similar to the one you feel at the wrist. Is the pulse rate between 60-100/min .If yes, it is normal and it is called the apex beat or apical impulse.

Do you feel the pulse when you are not touching your chest? If yes , it is called palpitations ( that is conscious awareness of one's own heartbeat). Palpitations occur when a person has anxiety,anaemia(low hemoglobin levels), hypoglycemia(low blood sugar levels), thyroid disorders or cardiac disorders.

If you are experiencing palpitations, it would be ideal to visit your physician to rule out the above mentioned possibilities.

It is a good thing that you do regular workouts.
For the reflux, please try to follow the below mentioned measures:
1. Drink lukewarm water at regular intervals( at least 8-10 glasses per day).
2. Regular exercise 30 minutes a day 5 days a week .
3. Have well balanced meals. By trial and error method avoid foods that make your symptom worse.
4. Avoid spicy, oily, XXXXXXX fried food.
5. Avoid tea, coffee, carbonated beverages, smoking and alcohol.
6. Instead of having 3 large meals a day, have frequent small quantity meals (5- 6 times) a day.
7. Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. It tends to make symptoms worse. Wait for at least 2 hours after a meal before lying down.
8. While lying down make sure the head is kept elevated on a pillow/ head end of the bed is slightly raised.
9. Avoid heavy exercise immediately after a meal. Again, wait for 2 hours after a meal and then exercise.
10. Do not skip breakfast. Ensure regular meal times.
11. Continue losepin according to your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your question. Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Have a great day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan