On lorazepam, diazepam, addictive. Should get off it?

My doctor has prescribed lorazopam for the last 7 months 1mg per day. I am very concerned to get off it. The doctor has said I now need to make the switch to diazepam. She has prescribed 4 weeks worth as she says that this is addictive as well. Is it safe to come off the lorazopam that quickly and also to stop the lorazapam straightaway and switch to diazapam? I am aged 52 ,weigh 121/2 stone, height 5' 9" and no previous health problems. What should I be doing?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 49 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide good information and recommendations for you.

In your situation it should be safe to transition to Diazepam from lorazepam as your doctor has suggested. These drugs, while different, act via a similar mechanism. You will not experience withdrawal effects if you are taking the Diazepam so this is something I am certainly not concerned about.

I would follow your doctors recommendations and transition to the diazepam. This is safe and you will not have to deal with any symptoms of withdrawal. Your body will adjust accordingly and I am sure you will be fine.

I thank you again for submitting the query. I hope you have found this to be helpful and informative. If you should have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga