On loestrin medication for one year. When should I take it and can I take Plan B with it?

Question
I'm 25. 5'8" and have been loestrin for over a year. i'm just paranoid but 2 questions - can i take plan B while on it? is it okay to be 30mins to an hour late or early in taking the pill?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later

Loestrin Fe tablets contain ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone, a combination of female hormones that prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary).

You can take birth control but it will cause hormonal imbalance and may result in breakthrough bleeding in between the cycles or even irregularity in menstrual cycles.

Secondly, it is advisable to take the birth control pills at the same time everyday so as they have maximum efficacy but you can take it after 30 min or after 1 hour delay if you forget and miss the pill. However as far as possible take it at the same time everyday without missing a single dose.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: On loestrin medication for one year. When should I take it and can I take Plan B with it? 6 hours later
This is so helpful, thank you. My follow-up question is - is it normal to be spotting after rough sex?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Spotting after sex is common when the sex is rough. This is due to trauma to the vagina or cervix during sex. The lining of the vagina is very similar to the tissue that lines the inside of your mouth. It's soft, squooshy, and it bleeds when it's roughly rubbed.

If the repeat happens even after the intercourse is not rough, then post coital bleeding should be ruled out by a gynecologist.

Regards.

Follow-up: On loestrin medication for one year. When should I take it and can I take Plan B with it? 4 hours later
Again, thanks so much.

Sorry to go back to the first question but just to be sure - I'm on the first week of a new pack (so the first day of my period was exactly a week ago), had sex mostly with a condom yesterday, and took my pill yesterday 30 minutes late. I took it on time today. That means I'm safe, right? And would be better off sticking to my pack and not mixing it with plan b?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 hours later

Since you have been on the birth control pills for almost an year and if you are taking the pills and even the recent pack regularly without missing any of the pills, chances of pregnancy are less especially if most of the intercourse was protected with a condom.

Delaying of the pills by half an hour should not make much of a difference. Hence if you keep on taking the birth control pills regularly then emergency contraceptive pills like Plan B are not needed.

Regards.