On lisinopril-hctz for BP. Is there any side effects of taking metoprolol?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am nervous about taking my first dose of metoprolol (12.5mg). I have had constant PACs for three weeks now and this is what the doctor (GP) recommends I try. I am also on lisinopril-hctz (10-12.5mg) for two years now for blood pressure. Should I be this worried about any side effects taking this drug tonight (with a snack before bed)? Also, I will be seeing a cardiologist on Tuesday. Should I wait to take this until I see him?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
Thanks for query.

In general, 25mg of metoprolol is safe drug. Unless your BP (Blood Pressure) or pulse is low there is no concern and you can go ahead and take it as it is good drug to suppress PACs but if your pulse or BP is low and your are not unusually symptomatic you can wait you can wait till you see cardiologist.

About beta-blockers (Metoprolol), side effects they can cause:

1. Low hear beat
2. Low BP
3. Electrical disturbance in heart
4. Some modest effect on lipids
5. Bronchospam or wheeze

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: On lisinopril-hctz for BP. Is there any side effects of taking metoprolol? 41 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I have taken tonight's dose of 12.5mg and so far all is good. How long before I might feel relief? Does it work right away or does it take time? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 hours later

Generally, it takes about a day or two to have relief though action would be immediate. It takes about two days to bring about enough reduction in number of APCs. If you are fine, keep taking.