On lipitor 50mg for cholesterol. Blood test done. Given zimstat 5 mg. Looking for suggestion?

i was told i had cholestrol in march of this year and was put on lipitor 50mg which made my muscles ache then on zimstat 49mg which did the same thing so was put on ezetrol 10mg for 2 months and then fasted and had blood taken which my readings are total chol 5.2 hdl 1.2 ldl 3.0 triglyceride 2.1 ldl/hdl ratio 2.5 and chol/hdl ratio 4.3 to which i was told the ezetrol was not strong enough so was given zimstat 5mg to take as well are my readings bad enough to have to take both medications. my diet is low cholesterol and my weight is normal for my height
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 minutes later

The readings you mention appear marginally raised and not too good for one who is on anti cholesterol medication.I consider there is need for both the medications.

If two consecutive readings of cholesterol come within normal range then a thought on removing one medication can be made.But for now I consider that both medications are necessary.

The muscle pain due to most of the antilipid drugs usually occurs in initial few months after the start of the medications, later the muscle pain disappears.You can use mild pain killers for such pains.

Do continue the same fat free diet you may soon be taken off from one of the mediation.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.