On levothyroxin for hypothyroidism. Having pain in mouth, gums and jaw. Could this be due to thyroxin tablet?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor , for few months I was having a lot of pain in my body , I was checked by rhuemotology dept in hospital nothing came out , I was then refered to a thyroid specialist , how identified my TSH 6.9 / TPo 519 / TAg 915 and told me I have hypothrodism, and was given 25 Microgram of LevoThyroxin. after few weeks my pain subsided however I have now got pain in my mouth , gums and jaw. I was wondering if this could be by thyroxin tablet ? Also I have some ringing in my ear as well due to my sinus issues. at he moment I am taking 150 mcg of Iodine and 200 Mcg of Selenium along with Thyroid medicine. Also I was identified by doctor of a small papilloma in my uvula , who he wanted to have a biobsy , is this related to my pain.?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unrelated to thyroxin, papiloma should be biopsied Detailed Answer: Hello, you doctor has rightly prescribed you levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Your problem of pain in mouth, jaw and gums is unlikely to be because of thyroxin tablet as side effect. The oral drug reaction symptoms because of thyroxin are usually accompanied by acute symptoms similar to oral side effects of many other drugs like redness, excessive salivation and ulceration which you have not described. Of the other two drugs which you are using, the iodine is known to cause oral side effects but your description does not fit in to that also. My advice is, visit your ENT and he/she can examine the oral cavity for any associated visible finding along with pain. Otherwise if everything is fine on examination of oral cavity, take analgesic for few days. Also any unusual lesion in oral cavity should be biopsied and test and your doctor has rightly advised so. A uvula papilloma can not be related to your pain (after reading the description in your attachments of the uvula lesion). Regarding ringing in ear, it can occur because of sinus infection because of Eustachian tube dysfunction. The other common reason for tinnitus is dysfunction of nerve of ear and an audiometry can point towards that. Do take hot water steam and avoid taking analgesics (NSAIDs) for longer periods as lot of analgesic use can worsen your tinnitus. Regards
Follow-up: On levothyroxin for hypothyroidism. Having pain in mouth, gums and jaw. Could this be due to thyroxin tablet? 2 hours later
hi Doctor , thanks for coming back to me. i had a checkup with 2 dental surgeons and they confirmed that the everything looks fine beside papiloma and nothing sinister is going on. i called my GP who has prescribed me Amoxillin to see if Sinus Infection is causing this. also i have not taken thyroxin today and my pain has subsided considerably , my GP told me to leave thyroxin for 2 days and then continue again and it will confirm either you have side effect or not. can you confirm if there is any alternative for thyroxin as i have read horrible stories people using thyroxin and having problems . Also should i stop Iodine for the time being ?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No replacement, iodine can stopped Detailed Answer: Dear , please do not worry much about thyroxin as it is a pretty safe drug. Also that you have your pain relieved after stopping it for 1 day is more of psychological or unrelated problem. Half life of thyroxin is 7-10 days and biological action is even longer. So, there is no question of its effect going in one day. You can stop taking iodine and if still want to get more iodine from diet, you can use sea food (if you are non-vegetarian) in addition to iodized salt. Regarding replacement for levothyroxin, it is a supplement for natural T4 and thus no specific replacement for this. So, please continue with thyroxin. Regards