On lansoprazole. Feel bloated stomach and have diarrhea. Suggest

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been on lansoprazole 30mg gastro resistant capsules for 3 wks due to severe reaction to naproxen which I had for 2 herniated lower back discs I have finished course which was Monday today my stomach is very bloated and cramping slightly will this ease concerned also got diahorrea
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Was upper GI endoscopy done?
Are you a diabetic?
How long have you been having diarrhea?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: On lansoprazole. Feel bloated stomach and have diarrhea. Suggest 7 minutes later
Hi had no investigations not diabetic although father is had diarhorrea on and off from starting lansoprazole thankyou

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
An upper GI endoscopy may be done to assess the current status of damage to inner lining of stomach after 3 weeks of lansoprazole.
Diarrhea is a known side effect of PPI group of medications including lansoprazole.
Take probiotic supplements for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: On lansoprazole. Feel bloated stomach and have diarrhea. Suggest 1 minute later
How long shall I leave to contact doctor? Will it gradually relive itself once out of the system thankyou

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
The bloating and cramping are not due to lansoprazole but due to gastritis caused by naproxen. So consult your doctor at the earliest since you are not completely relieved of the symptoms.

Diarrhea is a side effect of lansoprazole. It is due to acid suppression leading to bacterial infection. So taking probiotics will provide relief. If it is persistent then stool test should be done.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini