On lamotrigine for bipolar. Started taking etodolac for arthritis. Could this be etodolac?

my husband has been taking lamotrigine for bi polar. He was okay. Then he started taking etodolac for arthritis and the symptons came back. Could this be the etodolac?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     76 year old male
•     Known case of Bipolar , hypertension and pituitary adenoma
•     Concern related to relapse after start of etodolac.

Etodolac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is used for arthritis. It do not have significant interaction with lamotrigine which can lead to relapse.

Following are most probable causes of relapse in following hierarchy:
•     Arthritic pain is a stress for patient and stress can lead to relapse.
•     Bromocriptine can induce psychotic and other psychological symptoms specially in bipolar cases.
•     Poor compliance to medicines.
•     Thyroid related problem due to pituitary adenoma can destabilize bipolar patient on treatment: get thyroid hormonal assay done.

He need reevaluation of case in consultation with endocrinologist and psychiatrist together for better coordination of treatment and to minimize relapse risk.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.