On klonopin and quit cold turkey. Having insomnia, very weak legs, shaking body and unable to work. Healing period?

I have been on klonopin 4mg at night daily for 5 yrs. Three months ago I quit cold XXXXXXX on advise from my doctor. I am still having insomnia, nausea in upper GT, very weak legs and body, shakey and unable to work. Is there any information on how long this will continue?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please, reconsider the exit strategy

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry about the recent changes in your sleep pattern and these symptoms.

From the information you have provided, I am particularly concerned about your abrupt termination of this drug. These symptoms are very representative of abrupt withdrawal. This drug is rarely stopped abruptly. You have to be weaned off it progressively by decreasing dosages and increasing interval so that the body can have time to adjust to the changes. Please, quitting this drug is a nice idea but doing so in a progressive manner is better. Even reducing the dosage over several months before getting off is still good enough than stopping abruptly.

If I were you, I would take reduced dosages and maybe 2-3times a week, then progressively to 1-2times per week before ever stopping. Consider talking to your doctor and see into what this can do for you.

The duration of symptoms is long and variable. The best solution would have been to plan and exit nicely that abruptly. Try this option out.

I wish you well and hope this addresses your query fully and provides enough guidance to you. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications.
Dr. Ditah, MD