On isotretinion 20 mg. Had unprotected sex. Should I take emergency contraceptive pill?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question

I am on isotretinion 20 mg for the past 5 days. I had unprotected sex and today is the first day of periods. But i dont want to take a chance...can i have emergency contraceptive pill?

Will it be harmful with isotretinion?

Please let me knw
Thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later

The chance of pregnancy is very less as:
You had unprotected intercourse around the time of menstruation and during this period ovulation is very rare.
And your periods already started which will exclude the possibility of pregnancy.
If you are going to continue the isotretinion better to start regular contraceptive method and continue till one month after stopping the tablets.
Better to choose two methods simultaneously like barrier method and contraceptive hormonal injection etc with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: On isotretinion 20 mg. Had unprotected sex. Should I take emergency contraceptive pill? 7 minutes later
Thanks for the answer. I will start regular contraception..but im still very worried..can i take the emergency contraceptive pill? Will it affect the isotretinion?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

According to your history I don't think that using of the emergency pill is necessary.
As emergency pill can alter the menstrual cycle and can cause other side effects like nausea, bloating sensation, breast tenderness etc side effects, so better to avoid.
Anyhow one dose of pill may not affect the function of isotretinoin. But as isotretinoin can decrease the efficacy of progesterone pills, the protection from emergency pills which usually contain high dose progesterone is doubtful.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.