On iron supplements. Having irregular heartbeat, dry throat and feeling dizzy. Worrisome

ENT Specialist
Question
heart ratehello, I am a 26 years old female and I weigh 150 pounds. I am 5'10 and currently taking iron pills. lately I have been having irregular heartbeat. my heart is either beating too fast or sometimes it feels like its not there. I get really dried throat and feel dizzy. I barely get any sleep cause of this. sometimes my heart feels weird like when I'm scared
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query..

1. Since you are on iron supplements, you must be having anemia (low Hemoglobin). Anemia is a leading cause for dizziness and palpitations.

2. Another possible reason is gastritis (stomach irritation) due to the iron pills. You may take the pills after meals to reduce this common side effect or request your doctor to change the type of pill. The dryness of the throat an dizzy feeling may also be due to this. Anti acidity medication may help.

3. The other common conditions to be rued out are causes of excess blood loss (faster than the body can compensate), thyroid problems, stress, anxiety, mitral valve prolapse (common) and so on.

4. Get a Cardiologist's opinion. Get an ECG done. If this is fine, there is no cause for worry. The Cardiologist may get additional investigations such as 24 hour Holter ECG monitoring , 2D Echo and so on. If all these are normal, there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: On iron supplements. Having irregular heartbeat, dry throat and feeling dizzy. Worrisome 2 hours later
ok thank you. what do you suggest I do because I am on vacation in a different country and I don't leave until tomorrow. do I stop the iron pill? because it got worse last night and really frightened me. at a point, I felt heavy in my chest and couldn't breath all d way

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You may safely discontinue the iron pill for a few days.

2. Get a check up done as detailed above the moment you return home.

3. If you have travel insurance, at least get a medical examination and an ECG done.

Regards.