On ibuprofen for inflammation due to arthritis. Suggest alternative medication

I just learned that ibuprofen increases blood pressure. I have been using it to combat inflammation due to arthritis in my right hip. Could you suggest an alternative?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Paracetamol or aspirin are relatively safe... Detailed Answer: Hi, Ibuprofen and other non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAID) have potential to increase blood pressure. However in routine clinical practice this blood pressure effects are not significant enough to cause any trouble. In rare cases, where blood pressure rise is documented it is easily handled with dose reduction or addition of a low dose antihypertensive drug. Therefore, I don't think you need to be worried about rising blood pressure secondary to ibuprofen. If at all, your blood pressure numbers are high, then talk to your doctor - he/she can choose to reduce the dose, use an alternative (aspirin or paracetamol which have relatively less blood pressure effects) or add an antihypertensive drug. In brief, I would not prefer you try aspirin or paracetamol due to the following reasons: 1. Antinflammatory potentials of aspirin and paracetamol are lower than that of ibuprofen. 2. Practically, blood pressure rise is not going to trouble you 3. If there is rise in pressure documented, it can be handled easily at that point of time. Hope it is clear to you. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: On ibuprofen for inflammation due to arthritis. Suggest alternative medication 3 minutes later
Thanks very much
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome... Detailed Answer: Please to discuss the facts of ibuprofen... If you have no more questions to me, please close this discussion. Regards