On hormone therapy. Have every side effect. How risky if stopped?

Om hormone therapy. Have every side effect. How risky if I stop
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 28 minutes later
Hi Mixeral,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
There are many type of hormone replacement therapies in todays medicine.
Kindly specify your problem, the hormone you are taking, what side effects you are having and how long.
Please let me know in a follow up query.
Follow-up: On hormone therapy. Have every side effect. How risky if stopped? 12 minutes later
presently on femara. before thar was arimidex. nausea, diarrhea hot flashes, lack of energy, bone pain & ankle cramps. they said they ccould put me on 1 but would be a risk of blood clots. it has also worsened my neuropathy & rls. oh & i am a grouch
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 49 minutes later
Hi Mixeral,
Welcome back.
The Arimidex and Femara contain Anastrozole is an aromatase-inhibiting drug approved for treatment of breast cancer after surgery, as well as for metastasis in both pre and post-menopausal women. The severity of breast cancer is increased by estrogen, as sex hormones cause hyperplasia and differentiation at estrogen receptor sites.Anastrozole works by inhibiting the synthesis of estrogen.
The drug is associated with many side effects many of which you are already having.
It also increases the possibility of fractures and thrombosis.
If you are using it for breast cancer related management then you have hardly any option of stopping it because it has great impact on the positive outcome in these cases.
But the drug is prescribed for other off-label indications also, in that case you can stop the drug and switch to other medication in consult with your physician.