On high protein diet. Taking supplements which contain caffeine, appetite suppressants. Feeling dizzy, nausea. Diet side effects?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've been on a diet for the past 12 weeks that is a high protein, no carb diet. I take supplements that contain diuretics, caffiene, appetitie suppressants, among other things. I drink 10 glasses of water a day. Lately, I've felt dizzy when I stand, I'm nauseous and feel very lightheaded. I'm sure it's from this diet. How can I remedy this? Someone told me I need to increase my salt intake?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

1. High protein itself increases urine output
2. No carbohydrate diet for 3 months depletes your glycogen storage in liver. So it can lead to hypoglycemia leading to giddiness / nausea.
3. Caffeine itself is a diuretic. So, diuretics + high protein + caffeine leads to more increased urine output. This urine always takes some amount of sodium also with it, leading to depletion of sodium in blood. Additionally you are taking plain water without sodium, leading to more dilution of your blood sodium levels. These factors can lead to hyponatremia which can present as hypotension, dizziness, nausea, light headedness, state of confusion, alteration of orientation etc.
4. Daily normal requirement of water is 2-3 liters. Inadequate water intake can lead to hypotension symptoms.

So your symptoms are usually cause of hyponatremia, hypotension +/- hypoglycemia.

Diet plan is:
1. Add few calories of carbohydrates, which are the immediate energy providers, by having small frequent meals,
2. Increase salt intake by additional 2gm / day (normal is 5gm/day),
3. Normal water intake of 2-3 liters / day.
4. Better to stop diuretics. Reduce your caffeine intake.
5. High fiber diet decreases absorption of excess carbohydrates.
6. Exercise will help you not only in loosing weight but will also give your body a good shape too.

Hope i have clarified your queries. Feel free to clear your doubts if any.

Get well soon,