On high fibre vegan diet following rectal cancer and getting bleeding around anus. How to overcome this?

I am on a high fibre vegan diet following rectal cancer and am getting light superficial bleeding around the anus. How can I keep a healthy vegan diet but not get the side effects? Due to the absence of a rectum I go maybe 15 times a day.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Hello! Mr.Tgtonygibson. Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

There may be few reasons for bleeding around the anus:
1. Radiation proctitis: Since you have received radiation therapy for tumour on pelvic floor, this radiation may cause inflammation in the mucosa of anal canal or adjacent colon. Treatment for this is few session of argon plasma coagulation application on the bleeding area which can be identified and done on colonoscopy examination
2. Recurrence of tumour in adjacent area, for which again you require colonoscopy examination
3. hemorrhoids which can also be identified on anoscopy and treatment is simple in a sense that you have to keep your stool soft by taking stool softener and avoiding straining while defecation or may be banding
4. Presence of other lesion in colon which can again be identified on colonoscopy examination

So colonoscopy examination is must to confirm the diagnosis so that it can be treated accordingly.

So I will suggest to visit your treating doctor (Gastroenterologist) for colonoscopic examination.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.