On heat treatment after lower back injury. No fracture seen on MRI. Reason for pain?

Hi Doc!
Yesterday,i fell down from a flight of stairs.I hurt my lower back and used ice pack treatment for the same instantly.Now I have needle pricking pain in the left buttock especially when I try to sit or get up or turn side in the bed while sleeping.MRI doesnot suggest fracture. Now I am on heat treatment. I have to hold the area affected tightly with my both hands to be able to sit or stand or change a position.What is the cause of the pain?Please help
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 4 hours later

Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your available history.

As MRI has ruled out the fracture, your symptoms can be attributed to muscular spasm over back. A probable pressure on the locally exiting nerves is causing the needle pricking pain.

There is no reason to worry. You can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents like ibuprofen or muscle relaxant apart from ice pack and heat therapy.

As soon as spasm get relieved, you will be better.

I hope I can address your concern.

Please revert to me in case if you have any queries.

Follow-up: On heat treatment after lower back injury. No fracture seen on MRI. Reason for pain? 23 hours later
Thanks doctor.The pain is quite severe.I am unable to turn on the bed while sleeping.Walking slowly in baby steps is not a problem.The pain seems to be like a Burn Tear and Prick.
1)How long does such trauma take time to heal? 2)Should i use cold and hot treatment both ? How does it help in healing? 3)Shall I take more of bed rest or walk around at home?

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 38 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

Time to heal the trauma depends on its severity but it usually takes seven to ten days to have some recovery.
2-You can use cold and heat therapy alternatively. It helps in reducing the edema at intracellular level.
3- It is advisable to take complete bed rest. Do not lift the things from ground. No weight lifting.

You can use like tramadol and muscle relaxant like lornoxicam to control pain. You may get a prescription from a physician for this medicine.

Please revert to me in case if you have further query.
In case if you do not have any further query , please close the discussion and rate the answer.