On gudcef for UTI for increased WBC count. Can be consumed in pregnancy?

Question
I AM BEING GIVEN GUDCEF CV 200 FOR UTEROUS INFECTION TREATMENT FOR INCREASED WHTE BLOOD CELLS IN MY BODY I SUSPECT I MAY BE PREGENT TODAY IS MY DUE DATE BUT MY HOME URINE TEST SHOWS NEGATIVE BUT IAM HAVING INCREASED HEART RATE AND TIREDNESS. MY QUESTON IS IF IAM PREGENT CAN I USE GUD CEF CV
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 38 minutes later
Hello.

Please note that this is too early to test the pregnancy test.

You may need to repeat the test after 4-5 days and preferably with early morning urine sample.

Apart from this your periods might get delayed due to infection it self. It is very early to say whether you are pregnant or not.

Increase in heart rate and weakness could be due to fever which you may have due to infection.

The drug you are taking is having a combination 2 drugs, one of them is Cefpodoxime, a drug which ideally should be avoided in first few months of pregnancy.

The another drug Clavuilinic acid can be used in pregnancy.

It is better that you please discuss this with your Gynecologist and take his advise.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: On gudcef for UTI for increased WBC count. Can be consumed in pregnancy? 2 hours later
This evening my home pregnancy test shows positive two months back had abortion Through mtp kit tablets with no other antibiotics the doctor now I'm consulting told me that i should have been prescribed antibiotics thats why now uterus infection why wbc increases now I'm pregnant can i take gudcef for same infection

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Hi again Velisela,

Thank you for writing back.

Gudcef Cv is safe during pregnancy, You should continue to take the medicine if your doctor has prescribed it to treat your uterine infection. It is very essential to have a clean uterus for your baby to grow well.

The active compounds in this brand, as told before are Cefpodoxime and clavulinic acid. Both these drugs have failed to show any adverse effects on the fetus in the first trimester. And the risks definitely outweigh the risks, So I suggest you to continue with the medicine as directed by your gynecologist.

Your gynecologist is right in saying that, you should have been given antibiotics following an abortion.

If your Urine pregnancy test is positive, it is advisable to confirm it with your gynecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.

Wishing you a safe and happy pregnancy.

Regards.