On follicular study. Undergone SSG, normal. Prescribed fertyle super. Are there side effects?

I m 26 yrs old. My periods are regular(28 or 29 cycle) and trying for pregnancy for past 9 months. I have undergone SSG test and tubes are fine.Also my husband has no problems. For the past cycle , I have done follicular study during my 11th, 14th and 15th day where the biggest follicle was with size 27. My doctor advised to take fertyl super 100 mg tablet from day 3 to day 7 and to perform a follicular analysis on day 8.Is that Ok?Also want to know is there any side effects after having the medication.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

You are taking ovulation induction drugs to help in maturation of the follicles. There are no long term side effects of such drugs but do not take more than 3-6 cycles at a stretch to avoid hyper-stimulation.

You can continue taking them from day 2/3 of your menses as advised. Then follicular study should be done on day 8,9,11,13,14.

According to the maturation of the follicle HCG can be given on day 13/14. Your follicle size should be at least 18-22mm before that can be given.

You may not concieve on the 1st cycle itself and may need to continue the drugs for at least 3-6 cycles.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back to me if you have any doubts.

Follow-up: On follicular study. Undergone SSG, normal. Prescribed fertyle super. Are there side effects? 11 days later
Thanks for your suggestions.
After taking fertyl 500 mg from day 3 to day 7, i took two HMG 150 injections on my 9th and 10th day. The follicular study on day 11 showed one dominant follicle with 20x14.8 mm. On 12th day, i took HCG 5000 injection. On 14th day afternnon, the follicular study showed the dominant follicle reached 25x24mm. The scan on 15th day morning showed the follicle got ruptured with the below impressions:-
Rupture VCC 15x10m --- Right Ovary
ET=15m ---Left Ovary
POD --Free Fluid ++.

Could you please help us with these queries.

- Is the follicle size 25 mm is perfect for releasing matured egg or the chances for pregnancy will be less because of the size?
- Could you please let us know more about the above impression we mentioned about the ruptured egg. please let us know whether the chances of getting pregnant is good( i know everything depends on luck but still with your experience ,please let me know.)?
- The doctor advised me to take Duphaston 10 mg for next 16 days, is safe to take it? Whats the purpose of this medicine? what are the side effects of this medicine?Does it will effect the foetus?I have read that this medicine is banned in number of countries.
The follicle size you have mentioned 25mm is adequate for releasing eggs.Usually the dominant follicle has to be at least 20-22mm before HCG can be given and the egg is released.The rate of growth of follicles you had was good.The rupture occurred in day 15th,and that means that the egg is released.Timed sexual intercourse at this time is required.Chances of pregnancy are definitely there but as you said,luck is defintely involved here as well.You can take Duphaston from day 16 for 10 days.Its a hormone that helps in implantation of the zygote/embryo.It wont harm the fetus and very much in use in India.
Your treatment seems to be on the right track but remember,you may require a few cycles of treatment before you succeed.So dont lose heart.
Good luck,