On folical study due to irregular menstrual cycle. How to avoid erectile dysfunction during folical rupture?

I have been married since last 6 months, my sexual life is fine so far...

Now we are planning for a child , as my wife has irregular menstrual cycles doctor suggested to go for folical study..

During the last month study we used to have intercourse every alternated day till Folical rupture day. ( 17th Day ) ... On the day of rupture doctor told us to have intercourse, but i dont know how i was not able to get erection that day i tried 2-3 times and finally ended up with ejaculation out side.. So last months atempt was failed..
Now this month today is the day of possible Folical rupture, but i tried yesterday for intercourse and again same thing happned.. I am worried for todays intercourse... What could be the reason and any immediate remedy ( viagra etc ) for the same ?
Is Erectile dysfunction is serious problem ? what is the remedy for the same for a long term basis ...
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You are trying for a baby and are unable to maintain erection. It is not a serious problem since there is cure for this.

Erectile Dysfunction is an inability to achieve erection. It can be due to various causes like Low self esteem, Performance anxiety, Depressed moods, Stress, Relationship conflicts.

In your case Performance anxiety and stress could be the cause.

Other systemic causes will be :
1. Diabetes mellitus
2. Hypertension (high blood pressure)
3. Atherosclerosis
4. Renal (kidney) failure
5. Neurological disorders - multiple sclerosis, stroke, paraplegia, spinal cord lesions.

When there is no organic factor and the problem lies purely in the mind, it is labeled a case of psychogenic impotence. But before such hasty labeling, it is necessary to prove by andrological investigation that no organic or bodily cause exists.You will need to get examined by a Physician first.

Counseling and sex therapy by a Psychiatrist are sometimes effective in helping patients with minor sexual problems, especially when these are caused by sexual ignorance and psychological factors.This might be effective for you.

Other forms of treatment are Medications, Hormone replacement therapy, External vacuum devices.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.