On focalin. Feeling tightness in chest. Is this normal?

hi yes i been on focalin for going on a month is it normal to have some chest tightness
Also I take 40 mg of focalin and lately my chest feels alil tight I just really want to kno if this is normal I am 29 yrs of age thank you
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later
Focalin can rarely cause chest tightness which could be due to anxiety or muscle tension, this side effect is less sever.However Focalin can cause high blood pressure and angina which may present with episodes of chest pain or tightness. Sometimes heartburn can also feel like chest tightness which should be ruled out.
If you have trouble with your heart beat,breathing or episodic chest tightness then you must visit your doctor and get chest xray and EKG.
You may like to talk your treating doctor if your medication is causing anxiety or chest tightness for longer time.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: On focalin. Feeling tightness in chest. Is this normal? 2 hours later
I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot its just alil worriesom but can I die from this like do I keep taking focalin I have two kids and I don't want to die from this
Answered by Dr. Sunil 17 minutes later
Thanks for your follow-up question.

You should not take it more serious, you will not die by using this drug. You need to visit your treating doctor to talk about the drug you are taking and report him any anxiety or depression you are experiencing after medication. Your doctor may feel it necessary to adjust the dose or prescribe you alternative drug.

Sleep well; exercise regularly, yoga and meditation may help you to relieve anxiety and depression.

Hope it will help you.
Take a good care!
Dr Sunil