On fentanyl. Having a slight rash with itching on back and stomach. Could this be due to medication?

Dec 2013

Hi, I've been using Fentanyl quite effectively for about 3months. Have recently developed a slight rash with a lot of itching on my back and stomach. I've been trying to find a cause of the itching. Any chance it's related to Fentanyl? Thank you, XXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fentanyl not related to rash and itching. Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. After reading your query with diligence I reassure you fully that your rash and itching is not related to Fentanyl. To tell you elaborately- Drug rash or any type of side effects to any drug occurs earliest by 24 hours and latest within 7 days of consuming a drug. As you are taking Fentanyl from last 3 months so the chances of any side effects are unlikely after a period of 3 months. As you felt the rash ans itching after 3 months of period so there is no any chance of contributing fentanyl for the same. The rash and itching can be a usual process due to dryness or any contact allergy. You can apply Hydrocortisone cream over the affected area and take loratadine tablet (claritin) for 2 times day. Most commonly these type of rashes subsides in 5-7 days of period. I hope these informations will help you. with regards, Dr Sanjay MD Dermatology