On euthyrox for hashimoto's. Started experiencing hair loss. Suggest some proper treatment

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's and prescribed T4 hormone named euthyrox. I started taking it about 2.5 weeks ago and noticed an improvement in energy etc. I tried to add nutrients adiing in conversion of T4 to T3 - like selenium supplement and ashwaganda/ However one of the XXXXXXX effeects I started experiencing is hair loss, my hair started falling more quickly. I was wondering what would be a safer alternative to treat hashimotos without having to experience hair loss. I understand that part of the long term treatment is the check of immune system to identify real reasons of incorrect immune response. However at this point in order to function well as a short term solution I need to be on thyroid hormone. I read that armour desiccated hormone is better as it combines T4 and T3 perhaps it will not have a side effect of impacting on my hair? How can I counteract hair loss problem but continuing my treatment? thank you
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 47 minutes later
If your diagnosis is correct then you only need Levothyroxine for the hashimoto's. There is no evidence to my knowledge proving the role of supplements or that armor is better. The brand name euthyrox you are referring to is probably l-thyroxine which is the same as Levothyroxine and that is sufficient as the sole treatment for hashimoto's. The hair loss is not from hashimoto's nor from euthyrox. There is no need to modify your immune response to manage hashimoto's. Replacement treatment with Levothyroxine is enough. For more information read WWW.WWWW.WW