On estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. Missed taking progesterone, started bleeding. Any thoughts?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I have been on HRT for 9 months now which includes estrogen, testosterone in pellet form & take 1 progesterone (125 mg) at night. Today I started to bleed....would that be because I have been out of my prescription for progesterone and have not had any for 3 days ??? Thanks, XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Hello
The bleeding is most probably due to progesterone withdrawal, which leads to rebound bleeding.
However, at 68, any kind of postmenopausal bleeding is a cause for investigations, as there are some ominous causes such as endometrial hyperplasia, potential endometrial carcinoma, endometrial polyps etc.
I would advise you to consult a gynecologist before any assumptions, although the most probable reason is the progesterone withdrawal.
Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: On estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. Missed taking progesterone, started bleeding. Any thoughts? 3 hours later

My last examination with my gynecologist & pap smear was just 4 mos. ago & the results were all normal. I'm going to assume, as you suggested, that my failure to take the progesterone for 3 days is the cause for the bleeding. I'm on my way out of town this week but will see my doctor upon my return just to be sure.
Thanks for your help! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 hours later
All the best, XXXXXXX