On eption and lonazep for RLS and night mares. Why I am prescribed with anti seizure tablets?

Nov 2013

Doctor I have been prescribed eption and lonazep for my RLS and night mares. My sister takes these tables for epilepsy. I am worried why I am prescribed these anti seizure tablets for me. Is my doctor suspecting the same for me too because of my family history
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs XXXX,

Thank you for posting your query.

Your guess is absolutely correct. Eptoin (phenytoin sodium) is an anti-seizure medication, and is used only for treating epilepsy. So, you doctor is suspecting seizures in your case. Please discuss this with him.

Lonazep (clonazepam) is used for seizures as well as anxiety. So, in your case, it may be given to reduce your nightmares.

For RLS, good medications are pramipexole and ropinirole.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog:

Follow-up: On eption and lonazep for RLS and night mares. Why I am prescribed with anti seizure tablets? 17 hours later
Many thanks for your reply. Kindly let me know if I should take these tablets or should I have discuss with my doctor before medication. By the way just before this I had a guidiness at my office followed by imbalance panik attack. Prior to this attack I was hospitakised at appolo chennai for dehydration. Iam just giving you the bsckground if it can be of any use.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to discuss with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

It would be better to discuss this with your doctor, before starting these medications. This would ensure proper dose and duration of treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)