On epilim 200mg for nerve pain. What are the side effect of atrovastatin 80mg, asprin 100mg and lovan 20mg?

hi my name is XXXXXXX fox i have just been prescibed epilim 200mg twice a day for nerve pain iam currently taking accurate 12.5 mg /atrovastatin 80mg /asprin 100mg /lovan 20mg will this have any efect on these tablets thank you
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello Mr. Fox,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your question.

Epilim (Sodium Valproate) is an anti-epileptic and mood stabilizer medication which is also used sometimes in the treatment of neuropathic pain.

Now let me review the other medication that you already are on:

Asprin 100mg is a cardio-protective medicine which can prevent blocks in the blood vessels
Atrovastatin 80mg is cholesterol-lowering medicine which again will prevent blocks in the blood vessels
Accuretic 10/12.5 (I presume, so please check the spelling) is a BP lowering medicine which improves blood flow through the blood vessels
Lovan 20mg (Fluoxetine) is an anti-depressant medication

Out of these, Asprin can have a mild indirect interaction with Epilim i.e. Asprin can decrease the excretion of Epilim and hence mildly increase the blood levels of Epilim. Epilim can also mildly potentiate the effects of antidepressants like Fluoxetine. But in your case, these effects should not be a major concern since 400mg /day is a minimal dose.

So, I don't think the Epilim will have any significant effect on the rest of your cardiac medication and can be taken safely. In case, you develop any unusual complaints, then you should report this to your doctor and seek medical attention.

I hope I have clarified your doubt. Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar