On eltroxin for hypothyroidism. How to lose my weight?

i am on eltroxin for past 10 days now 100 mcg my TSH 15o t3 and t4 were low. I dont show loosing weight. when will i loose weight
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Resistant weight gain of primary hypothyroidism.

Detailed Answer:

You are a case of Primary hypothyroidism. Weight gained during hypothyroidism will not go on its own simply by starting eltroxin 100 mcg. 10 days is a very short time anyways to appreciate the results of eltroxin. It will take at least 6 weeks to show you the difference.

Oedema or water retention due to hypothyroidism will improve, but fat accumulated due to slowed metabolism will require effort at your level in way of diet regulation and increased physical activity for weight loss.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: On eltroxin for hypothyroidism. How to lose my weight? 5 hours later
Thanks Doctor. But how come i lost weight last time from 57 to 52 kgs i became with eltroxin i eat normal , i will try and go for walks in the morning now.

Is it that i am thinking 10 days are way too much to show results because doc i have seen the results in 2007 and 2008 where i lost my weight. Is 100 mcg dose fine or i should be taking a higher dose as per you?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for some time and work out as well.

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma'm, definitely 10 days is a small time to find yourself losing weight. At least 6 weeks are required to see the result. The dose is appropriate but you need to give time for thyroid balance to come to normal. At the same time , as I told you , you need to start work out as well. Regards!