On duphaston. Feeling heavy breast. What are the chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi doc has suggested us to keep relation before n after ovulation .and suggested duphaston from 16 th to 26 10mg .today is 26th n from past 4DAYS my breast r heavy as of before periods so any chance to get pregnancy
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 27 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

just because of symptoms we cannot rule out or confirm pregnancy,
the possible causes for your breast heaviness are,
-as common side effect of duphaston, which is a progesterone,
-as part of premenstrual syndrome,
-early pregnancy symptoms,

so you wait till your expected date of periods, if you miss the periods then you go for blood test for pregnancy which will possibly find out the presence of pregnancy.
meanwhile you continue to take folic acid and multivitamin supplements.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: On duphaston. Feeling heavy breast. What are the chances of pregnancy? 13 hours later
Thank you very much doctor.
Last month I had my periods on 17th July and doc has asked me to start duphaston from 16 th Aug to 26th Aug 'coz I was late to visit doc . Lets see I will wait for few moree days if periods not coming then will visit doc.shld I trust Ion urine report via pregnancy test at home

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
hi XXXXXX,

normally duphaston is recommended to take after ovulation and to stop before menstruation like on 16th to 26th day of cycle etc,
but according to what you told she asked to take the tablets around your expected date of menstruation in case of regular periods, that may cause delayed periods, so you once again confirm with your doctor.

some urine pregnancy test kits are less sensitive during early pregnancy and can sometimes give false positive results,
so better to go for blood test for pregnancy.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: On duphaston. Feeling heavy breast. What are the chances of pregnancy? 2 days later
Hi I done blood test today and it's negative .should I still hope

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,
if blood test is done 2 weeks after ovulation and if the hcg levels in the test are less than or equal to 5 then possibly the chance of pregnancy is almost nil.
but you told in your previous question that you had periods on 17th July is that correct? then this will be around ovulatory period, intercourse to be planned around the time of ovulation and blood test should be done preferably 2 weeks after ovulation.