On diet plans and had lost weight. Get stabbing pain, vision blocks out and get dizzy. Underlying cause?

Nov 2013

I am on diet plans to loose weight and I have lost around 30 kgs. In the last two weeks, about every time I stand up, I get stabbing headaches, and my vision blacks out. I usually get so dizzy I have to hang on to something. This happens about a few seconds after I get up and last a few seconds. Why does this happen? my blood sugar is 100 mg/dl fasting after 1 hr walk and 90 mg/dl 2 hrs after meals
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, there are two main possibilities:

1. Postural hypotension- in this condition, the BP falls on standing, which leads to less blood flow to the brain, resulting in dizziness and dimness of vision. This can be confirmed by checking BP in lying down position, and then rechecking it in standing position.

2. Vestibular dysfunction- sometimes, with weight loss, vestibular dysfunction occurs. Vestibular system of ear is involved in maintaining balance and preventing dizziness. An ENT evaluation would be helpful in this.

I am assuming that your hemoglobin and vitamin B12 levels are normal.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad