On dialysis. Stomach is hard and bloated. Could this be a serious condition?

My brother, 52, is on dialysis. His stomach is hard and bloated. He has no insurance. The nurse at the dialysis center said it was caused by fluid accumulation. After dialysis, the condition persisted. He has no abdominal pain but is not eating at all. Could this be a serious condition?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
In kidney failure patients we have to keep a check on fluid intake and output during dialysis. The intake and output must be almost equal so that fluid cannot be accumulates in the part of body usually abdomen and lungs. The patient on dialysis has high tendency of accumulation fluid in abdomen resulting bloated or distended abdomen.

If your brother is feeling any of the following symptoms than he may need immediate hospitalization and frequent ultra-dialysis to remove the accumulate fluid:
1. Difficulty in breathing
2. Increased respiratory rate (more than 20).
3. Frequent episode of vomiting.
4. Drowsiness and discomfort

Other causes that can cause abdominal distension in your brother are Intestinal obstruction and Ascitis.
In my opinion you have to take your brother to emergency and find out the cause of abdomen distension. Accordingly the treatment can be done in time as per direction of your treating doctor. So feel free to have a consultation with your nephrologist.
Hope you have got answer to your query. Keep me informed about your brother‘s health. I will be happy to answer other related queries if you have any.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh