On depo shot. Had unprotected sex and sperm was released. Cramping pain in stomach. Nipples are sore. Chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi I was on the depo shot but stopped taking it, I was due for my next shot sometime in August all the way up to September 2 well during that time frame I did have unprotected sex and his sperm was released into me, so could I be pregnant???? Also lately I've been having cramping pains in my stomach but I don't get a period then my nipples have been sore, I've been more sleepy and have been using the restroom more often, can you please tell me why>>>>>
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can be pregnant without Depo shot.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing us.

The very first thing, pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation or fertile days and unprotected sex with ejaculation. If you did sex close to your fertile days (11th to 19th day of 28-30 days regular cycle), then there is high chance of being pregnant without depo shot. On the other days, possibility is quite less.

Above said clinical features are seen both in early weeks of pregnancy and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS). Here, you need to undergo one home pregnancy test at the earliest to rule out possible conception. One blood test for beta-hcg can be done after 7 days to confirm your pregnancy. Following test report, you can consult with gynecologist for next line management.

In the mean time, take balanced diet, drink more water/ fluid, avoid mental stress and take sound sleep.

Hope, it is very much helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: On depo shot. Had unprotected sex and sperm was released. Cramping pain in stomach. Nipples are sore. Chances of pregnancy? 3 hours later
I wouldn't know what days that I am fertile since depo took my period away months ago

Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do one home pregnancy test at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

There is quite chance of being pregnant with unprotected sex without Depo shot & you have to confirm that.

If you don't know your fertile days or mess up period cycle with Depo shot, you have to undergo one home pregnancy test at the earliest as mentioned above.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: On depo shot. Had unprotected sex and sperm was released. Cramping pain in stomach. Nipples are sore. Chances of pregnancy? 2 hours later
I took a pregnancy test but it came back negative, so what do I do now?????

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait for one week or consult with your doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

If you have gotten negative result on pregnancy test, then you have two options:

1) You can wait another one week to get your period naturally as above clinical features mostly correspond with premenstrual symptoms. You may get period shortly.

2) You can consult with your gynecologist for clinical examination and relevant investigation (if needed) like ultrasound scan, hormone tests etc to rule out the exact cause.

In such case, progesterone pill (like norethisterone) can be given to induce your period.

Hope, it will be helpful for you. Avoid mental stress and take balanced diet.

Dr Soumen