On depo shot. Had protected sex. Started spotting. Should I be worried for pregnancy?

Mar 2013
I had protected sex (bf used condom) 28 days ago and am worried I might be pregnant. I don't know when my cycle starts as I had been on depo shot for three months, which I came off at the end of November. I only had one period during that time and none since. Had some spotting over past three days. Not sure if this is implant spotting or a light period after the depo. Don't otherwise have breast tenderness, sore back, etc. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

The typical use of male condoms, which is the average way most people use them, has a failure rate of 14-15%. Hence, even with condoms, a possibility of pregnancy DOES exist.
Also, after the Depo Shot, it is very common to have irregular and erratic bleeding,alongwith total absence of periods or haphazard light spotting sometimes.
It is extremely difficult to distinguish between early pregnancy or the hormonal effects of Depo in your case.
A home pregnancy test kit also is 97 % effective, but to be 100 % sure, I would suggest a proper check up by a gynecologist which would include a pelvic examination and an ultrasound / blood tests if any doubt exists.

Meanwhile, to increase efficacy rate of contraception, you might try combining condoms with some other method, like the pill, which is known as a " dual " method.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.