On cortosporin. Feel discomfort in throat and upper chest. Normal?

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm on cortosporin ear drops for a ruptured ear drum but I always feel discomfort in my throat and upper chest every time I use them. It feels like the drops drip down there. Is this normal? It's not difficulty breathing....it feels more like a cold sensation
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have a ruptured ear drum, ear drops instilled in the outer ear canal will reach the throat through the Eustachian tube which connects the middle ear to the nose.

2. This is normal and so is the discomfort.

3. Cortosporin is probably ototoxic (check if it contains neomycin) and hence you should only use Ciprofloxacin if you have a ruptured ear drum.

4. Medication should be taken only under strict medical supervision.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: On cortosporin. Feel discomfort in throat and upper chest. Normal? 17 hours later
I can't get to my ENT until Tuesday...I will ask him for the Ciprofloxacin then. I refrained from the cortosporin today but the pain got worse and I feel like I can hear less out of that ear. Even if its ototoxic, would it keep the ear from getting worse?

How long does it take for normal hearing to return? (I wear hearing aids in both ears but I feel like I can only hear 50 percent in my left ear with the rupture)

Also, I was on antibiotics for sinusitis but picked up a cold (or at least it feels like one) 3 days before I finished the prescription. The congestion is only on the side of the ruptured ear. Is this a separate issue or is it related to the ruptured eardrum?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The pain may be controlled with pain killers and anti-inflammatory medication. Ototoxic ear drops will cause more harm than good in the long term.

2. You should get your ear examined by an ENT Specialist to confirm the above. You should get your hearing examined for any further hearing loss. An audiometry or tuning fork tests will be required. This is because a mild conductive hearing loss is usually expected which will go away after the eardrum heals. In case there is a sensorineural hearing loss, it has to be treated as soon as possible (preferably within four weeks) or it may become permanent. A few patients may get vertigo (dizziness) or tinnitus due to concussion.

3. Most traumatic perforations will heal on their own. Average healing time may vary from a few days to a few weeks. Most dry small traumatic ear drum ruptures that I see heal within two to six week. Long term complications are rare. Healing is usually excellent. The ear should be kept dry. Infection should be prevented. Medication may be prescribed to achieve this. Regular check-ups to monitor the progress of the healing are required. In the rare case that the perforation is confirmed and does not heal, it may require an operative procedure to close the defect. This is especially important if you are using a hearing aid in that ear.

Regards.