On concerta. No sex drive and ejaculation. What could be the reason?

Question
I take concerta 108mg per. day. My sex drive is low and i have no ejaculation
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be the effects of concerta Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for the query. I find the query did not include important details like 1) Why were you using concerta? Since how long? When was the dose last revised? 2) Since how long you do not feel sexual drive? 3) Do you masturbate or participate in sexual intercourse? If yes, did your partners complain about your inability to perform? 4) Did you see a doctor about the sexual problem? Were some tests done? What was your doctor's primary opinion? With the details that were provided concerta is linked to loss of libido in many patients. You are having a high dose of concerta ( Methylphenidate) and that could aggravate the problem as well. I advise to XXXXXXX a doctor to revise the dose of concerta as loss of libido is reversible if it is due to drug affects. Hope this is clear.

Follow-up: On concerta. No sex drive and ejaculation. What could be the reason? 17 hours later
I've been using Concerta since 2013, XXXXXXX I started with 54mg and even with this dose, i had the sexual dysfunctions.My testosterone and prolactin levels are ok. The thyroid hormones levels are ok too. I use Concerta for extreme fatigue. It helped a lot in this like no other medication such as antidepressants.Before start taking Concerta, my sex drive wasnot too good, but my ejaculation is ok. Now, even when i try to masturbate, i have no ejaculation. Said all that, i ask you: There is any antidote for combat the sexual problems induced by Concerta?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: no antidote known Detailed Answer: Hi I do not know of any antidote for concerta induced sexual problems. Please note that concerta only helped you from sexual problems which were all there before XXXXXXX So your problem was partially treated. So this means you have to work closely with the doctor again for tiredness and sexual issues.

Follow-up: On concerta. No sex drive and ejaculation. What could be the reason? 4 hours later
In my case, what drug do you indicate as substitute of Concerta that doesn't have tsexual side effects?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Therapies may suit you. Detailed Answer: Your main problem was fatigue on top of sexual side effects. I do not think there is a single medicine that works. Every ill has no perfect pill. Therapies were tried to combat fatigue. Our psychiatrist colleagues generally try multiple drugs and combinations before finding out what works best. It may include Cognitive Behavioural therapy and Graded exercise therapy as well. The last two options definitely would not have sexual side effects. Or a very low dose concerta up to 30mg per day with the above two options. Now the concerta has to be reversed slowly by adding CBT and exercise. You should XXXXXXX have frequent consults with Psychotherapist as well as your treating doctor. Hope this helps.