On clonazepam for restless leg syndrome. Will taking ambien cause a problem?

Question
Thank you Doctor. I will be taking a trip to Europe tomorrow. I normally cannot sleep on a plane. I take Clonazepam for restless leg syndrome and I was wondering if taking Ambien would cause a problem.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 23 minutes later

I do not think taking Ambien is a good idea.

Firstly, it has to be taken on empty stomach. It should not be taken with or immediately after a meal.

Second, the side effects and adverse effects are more with it. You are taking a plane tomorrow, I would like you to be safer and have a happy journey.

The drug can interfere in your motor co-ordination and mental alertness. Amnesia or loss of short term memory is another adverse effect.

In my opinion, please do not take the drug.

I hope to have answered your query. If you have no further queries, please close the discussion and write a review.

I wish you happy journey and enjoy your trip.

Thanks.

Follow-up: On clonazepam for restless leg syndrome. Will taking ambien cause a problem? 13 minutes later
How about Melatonin?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Melatonin is relatively safer compared to Ambien. But, its combination with clonazepam is not safe as it may make you more sleepy.

Please be cautious not to indulge in heavy physical exertion and also driving. If you have people flying with you on the trip, please keep them informed about this.

Hope this helps. If you do not have further queries, please close the discussion and write a review.