On clarithromycin. Diagnosed with tonsillitis. Covered with pus. Ear hurts. Treatment?

I have been put on clarithromycin for 10 days 500mg every 12 hours. I am on day 5 and have had no relief. My ear hurts so much and swallowing hurts too. Will this stuff kick in if it hasn't yet? I was diagnosed with tonsillitis. It is only on the right side. I have had post nasal drip for about 7 or 8 months and somedays...before this began..i did have some mild ear pain..but nothing that made me this sore. My tonsil is covered in pus..looks like more now than when I first began the clarithromycin. Is this tonsilitis or could it be something else? Other than the pus there is nothing else throat does not hurt..only the tonsil/ear pain.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this tonsilitis and the failure to respond to treatment all this while. I hope together we can find a way out of this soon.

If this drug has not worked by now and the symptoms are worsening, then reviewing this treatment would be the best thing to do at this time. The two possibilities are either the treatment has failed or maybe you have developed a complication like peritonsillar abscess. This drug is an appropriate treatment for the supposed tonsilitis. Also, you seeing the tonsil swollen and filled with pus means for real it is tonsilitis and we should be concerned about complications.

If it is an abscess, drugs will not help without a surgical drainage. So what i will suggest is that you XXXXXXX and get re-evaluated by your treating doctor who will identify the reason for treatment failure through a complete physical exam and maybe some investigations if need be and address it accordingly.

I hope this addresses your query fully and provides guidance on how to approach this problem. if you should have more related questions, please, I am ready and happy to address them.Once more thank you so much for this opportunity to contribute to your health needs today.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Ditah, MD.