On ciprodex and naprosyn for otitis externa. Have swelling in ear with discharge. What to do?

ENT Specialist
i was diagnosed with Otitis externa, i was placed on Ciprodex ear drops and naprosyn, i am on day 3 of both of those medications with no apparent improvement to the swelling in my right ear, tonight, i layed down on my ear and it popped and i had a good amount of purulent drainage with some blood come out as well, my ear is still swollen, i had to remove the wic i had placed by the ER cause it was covered in blood, my ear is still swollen, my hearing has only improved maybe 10% prior to the drainage, what should i do next?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding infection in your ear (otitis externa) which is having large dischrge and quite painful. It is not responding well to treatment you are taken.

Here I would like to suggest you some investigations which are necessary for proper management. These are-

(a) Blood -CBC, blood sugar -F. & P.P.

(b) Culture and sensitivity of ear pus.

(c) X-Ray of your diseased ear in Shuller's view.

Till the results of investigations are awaited you can take-

(1) Antibiotic - Amoxicilin 625 mg three times a day. After the culture report this may be change according to report.

(2) Anti inflammatory analgesic- Like combination of Diclofenac 50 mg and Serratiopeptidase 10 mg twice a day.

(3) Keep your ear clean and dry by cotton swab than put ear drop preferably having combination of antibiotic, anti fungal and steroids.

I hope this will help you.