On cipralex for panic attack, also have ADD. Suggest?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Question
I'm on cipralex 20 mg and need something extra just for the odd panic attack. What can be recommended? And I also have ADD, what can be taken for that? I'm 37
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use alprazolam on SOS basis for panic attacks.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

If Cipralex 20 mg is working for you except for the occasional panic attack, I suggest that you continue with it and take alprazolam 0.25 mg for the panic attack, on a "as and when required" basis. Alprazolam will give you fast recovery from the panic attack but unlike Cipralex, it doesn't prevent the occurrence of the next attack. That is why, it should be taken only when required.

Another step that has been found beneficial by my patients is practicing deep breathing when the attack starts and trying to relax. Deep breathing immediately reduces the heart rate and brings relief in other symptoms like sweating, breathlessness etc.

Regarding ADD, my personal preference is for atomoxetine, which works well but does not have a dependence potential, unlike amphetamines. It will also augment the action of Cipralex. Bupropion also has good results in adults with ADD.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry

Follow-up: On cipralex for panic attack, also have ADD. Suggest? 2 hours later
Can I get this from a walk in clinic or do I need to see my MD

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you may get alprazolam from walk in clinic.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Since you will be taking alprazolam only occasionally and only a few tablets need to be prescribed, I do not feel the doctor at the walk-in-clinic will have any qualms in prescribing it. Please explain to the doctor why you are asking for it and that you are not addicted to it.

However, for treatment of ADD, you shall have to see your psychiatrist so that the different options can be discussed and you can make an informed choice.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you need any other clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry