On cholesterol medication from long time and having HDL cholesterol very high. Is this the correct treatment?

My doctors have had me on different Cholesterol medication since the 80's. Now, suddenly, my doctor has informed me that I should have never been on cholesterol medication because my HDL cholesterol is so high!
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are subdivisions of cholesterolHDL / LDL (& non-HDL) and so on.

LDL is bad cholesterol / Deposits in blood vessels to block / Lower, the better.
In the absence of any other risk factor 100 is ideal for LDL. In the presence of ischemia, 70 should be the aim.
If the LDL is in normal range, you do not need any drug.

HDL is good cholesterol / Mobilizes deposits out of the blood vessel / Higher, the better.
It needs no intervention apart from congratulations...

Discuss with your doctor

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: On cholesterol medication from long time and having HDL cholesterol very high. Is this the correct treatment? 24 hours later
Well, my cholesterol has been high since first checked when I was in my 40's (in the 80's). I have been given Lipitor, Zocor and finally Fenofibrate. I always get a call (after lab work) that my liver enzymes are elevated and I must stop taking the medication! Then I am changed to another one (that is why I have been on three different ones).
For the past 20 years I have gone through these above named drugs........and trying to watch my diet and CONSTANT worrying about my Cholesterol.
My HDL has always been high. So does that mean no one ever really looked at ALL the results.................or suddenly someone said "if the total cholesterol is high, but the HDL is high is all ok?? For me I wonder if I should still be on Fenofibrate at a lower dose because my triglycerides are still high!! My doctor really does not want to discuss it too much. My regular doctor retired last summer and my present doctor took over his practice and is the one who just said, "you really do not need to be on cholesterol medication because your HDL is so high!" To me that is scary.................after all these years of doctors terrifying me about my cholesterol...............suddenly it is all ok and I need no medication?? I really was requesting advice about this as I am now 70 years old and just cannot understand why SUDDENLY no medication is required?? Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 19 minutes later

In old days, only total cholesterol was estimated... subdivisions came into vogue later... / Elevated total cholesterol with high HDL and normal LDL does not need a drug.

Fibrates also help both triglyceride and cholesterol / Of course, life style changes like diet and exercise, avoiding alcohol and tobacco are basic.

You can continue the statin - statins have actions beyond cholesterol - like plaque stabilization and anti-oxidant properties.