On chemotherapy. Taking Erbitux medication. Elevated bilirubin levels. Advice?

Oncologist
Question
i've been on chemotherapy for 22 months, 6 cycles cisplatin/erbitux and now just erbitux on weekly basis. not til after coming off cisplatin for a few months did my bilirubin levels start flucuating but now it's all over the place going as high 3.0 but then falling within the desired parameters <1.2. any ideas
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You mention that you have stage IV cancer but you do not indicate which type of cancer you were diagnosed with. If you could advise me with some additional information that might help me in providing you with some recommendations. I would like to know when the cancer was first diagnosed. In addition I would like to know which organs were involved with any type of metastatic disease. This will be very helpful.

I will also tell you that certain medications can affect liver function and also how bile is
Metabolized in the liver. Depending on other medications what you might also be taking on a regular basis there could be some interactions.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I look forward to the additional details that you might be able to provide as we further examine what is going on with your general health. I look forward to providing you with some helpful recommendations.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert