On cast for ankle and metatarsal injury. Felt swelling and pain on ankle. Are these discomfort normal?

Spine Surgeon
I have a cast on foot from breaking a metatarsal and tearing two ligaments in my ankle. I feel discomfort with blood rushing to my foot (it feels hot), cramping in the arch of my foot and my calf, also I can feel my ankle swelling. My cast isn't tight, I actually don't know if it's as right as it should be. I can lift the cast up and down a little. Are these discomforts normal, and what should I do?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem

I understand you are on a cast for ankle and metatarsal injury.
You have not mentioned about the duration of the cast.

All casts become loose once the initial swelling comes down and this would give the sense of leg and foot moving within the cast. However that would not affect the quality of fracture healing.

Please keep the foot elevated and that would further reduce the swelling while lying down.
If your symptoms worsen or pain worsens you could get it removed to see that all is well inside and ask for a repeat cast.

I hope I have been able to clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any queries.

Orthopaedic surgeon