On breastfeed. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Feeling nauseous and dizzy. Can I be pregnant?

Question
I am 41 years old breastfeeding my child who is nearly 22 months he feeds 1 to 3 feeds in 24 hours. i had 2 misscarriages before him and have 4 children other than him, live. i missed my period on the 23rd october. my last period was on the 23rd september. i did a urine test 2 days after it was negative and a blood serum 8 days after which was negative. it wasn't the bhcg test. i again did a urine test about 10 days late again it was negative. i feel nauseas occasionaly and dizzy. can i be pregnant still?
can a blood serum test be wrong and what should the level of hcg be at 8 days or is it different for every woman.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Considering your blood and urine reports, it is unlikely that you are pregnant.
The nausea and dizziness you have may be psychological owing to the fact that you have missed your period.

Missing or delayed periods can occur when you are breast feeding. The severity of ammenorhea (no periods) depends on the frequency of your feeding.

The other reason of your periods getting delayed can be that you are approaching menopause. Periods get irregular and infrequent years before actual menopause is attained.

Urine test is almost always positive when you test it after your period dates.
Blood test comes positive earlier even before a missed period.
So if you are pregnant, both of these tests would have been positive by now for you.

A blood (serum) test for beta HCG is used to test for pregnancy. If the level is more than 25 mIU/ml then definitely you are pregnant.

8 days post expected date of menses means around 5 weeks of pregnancy calculating from the last date of your LMP . At 5 weeks the beta hcG levels in blood are between 2500-5000 mIU/ml.

Blood test for beta hcG to be wrong is rare. It can occur due to laboratory errors. To avoid this you can confirm the result by repeating the test.

I hope I have answered your query.

Kindly revert back if you have further queries.

Follow-up: On breastfeed. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Feeling nauseous and dizzy. Can I be pregnant? 1 hour later
Can a blood serum be wrong? I am not asking if bhgc can be wrong.so i can not be pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

I wish to state that "blood serum" can be tested for many things. So your statement can be complete only when you mention "blood serum for ....... XXXXXXX
(Like "blood serum for bhcg", "blood serum for TSH" etc)

I hope you understand what I mean.

If you got a blood test to detect pregnancy then it is beta hcg which is measured in blood for diagnosing pregnancy.

So the statement XXXXXXX blood serum be wrong XXXXXXX is incomplete information.

Kindly revert back if you still have queries.

It was a blood qualititive test. It looked the same as a urine test it can only tell if you are pregnant or not . It doesnt tell you how much hormone you have..

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

Yes blood test for pregnancy can be both qualitative and quantitative.

So if your qualitative test was negative it means there was no HCG detected.

It means you are not pregnant.