On breast feeding of a 4 month child. Will it be safe to give sinarest for cold?

May 2013
I am blessed with a baby boy, 4 weeks back. He is on breast feed. My wife has got cold. Can she take Sinarest tablet for cold? Will it affect the baby? Will u suggest some tablets or should i consult the doctor in his clinic?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later

Sinarest contains acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine and pseudoephedrine in combination.
Among them the antihistamine chlorpheniramine when used in combination with sympathomimetic pseudoephedrine is said to cause decreased breast milk production and can affect the baby.
This may not be applicable to single dose.
So she can take the tablet in the night after last feed or better to go for non sedating antihistamines like cetrizine or loratadine.
If she is having fever or body pains associated with cold she can take acetaminophen as separate tablet.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.