On breast feeding and have a boil on labia majora. Can I use neosporin?

I have a boil on my labia majora , a pea nut size, painful, firm in consistency not pus pointing ,i am also breast feeding now for 6 week infant , plz let me know how to get rid of them, can i use neosporin ointment for the same? ( i am 30 yr old ) should i start on any oral antibiotics/analgesics?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
The causes for a small boil like lump underneath the skin of the labia Majora could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and causes discomfort during sexual intercourse.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small abscesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.
Since there is no pain right now, you can apply neosporin ointment and can wait for it to subside spontaneously. In case there is pain or the swelling increases in size then systemic antibiotics are needed after proper examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: On breast feeding and have a boil on labia majora. Can I use neosporin? 10 minutes later
i have mentioned it as painful , which oral antibiotics and plz mention the dose also , can i take taxim o 100 mg bd , any effect on lactation, should i give hot compresses???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If it is painful then you can start taking mild pain killer and anti inflammatory like ibuprofen. You can also start an antibiotic like Taxim-O 200mg twice daily for 7 days. It will not affect lactation. In case the swelling increases then you need to consult your gynecologist for specific management like pus drainage. Doing a hot fomentation will also help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.