Ask a Urologist   »  

On birth control pill. Noticed blood after urinating. Is this a sign of an illness?

General Surgeon
Hi, I noticed that after urinating, when I wipe, there are pinkish traces of what I think is blood. On the first day, blood would drop, not like liquid, but more like gooey drops. Today, there is no visible blood in my urine after urinating - only on the toilet paper. There is no pain, no pressure on the abdomen. I am on the birth control pill, and this is the first time I've skipped the sugar pills and went directly to the next pack. I also have a tendency to take my pill one to two hours late. I don't know if those factor in, but I'm letting you know the full details regardless.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such blood traces can appear due to urinary tract stones. Some people does not have any pains or burning with this condition, what does not rule it out. You may find yourself having more frequent urinating (for example during the night) or burning while urinating.
Urethra infection (which is also a part of urinary tract) can give no symptoms.
I suggest you to have simple urine analysis to rule it out or confirm it. If no findings, urine culture test should be also done.
Gynecologist consult with transvaginal ultrasound seems also advisable especially if no urine infection.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.